Wednesday, October 29, 2008

lab.7.choropleth



I miss the dots. This lab gave me lots of problems. Now I'm tired, mentally drained, and SO over this. There goes my dot "high" of sorts.

I still have trouble with adding gradient. And you know what? I like it without it anyway. So take THAT, cranky Illustrator!

Brief statement about above maps: I feel like neither the natural breaks or equal interval produced strikingly different results. The only data intervals that had easily visible differences were the lowest two classes of percentages, which had the most data within them anyway. The outliers, like Nevada and Arizona, remained distinctively recognizable in both maps.

Conclusion from maps: a lot of new houses are being built in Arizona and Nevada. I HAVE heard that the housing market in Vegas has been growing for a while now, and it's really becoming more and more residential...so this goes along with what I've heard.

map of the week:

It's definitely a colorful choropleth map...but I wouldn't call it very effective. It's hard to tell what data represents the highest and lowest amount...it's pretty at first, but hard to comprehend. It's also almost too happy looking for such a depressing subject - HIV and AIDS doesn't make me think pink and yellow, nahmean?

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get away from maps. ASAP.

No comments: